Saturday, April 4, 2015

Another meh moment

I was doing my usual ambling aimlessly around the Intertubes yesterday and stumbled across a post by a fellow who was musing about giving up his blog. On one level, I found myself thinking, Well, that's considerate of him. If his blog goes silent, anyone who read it on a regular basis won't be wondering if he keeled over with no warning and is now taking a dirt nap. At the same time, I have to admit the dominant reaction was more along the lines of "Who cares?"

Seriously, unless a person is getting paid to post something on a regular basis or if you have real (not virtual) friends and relatives following your blog as a way to keep up with your health and well-being, what difference does it make if you do a post daily, weekly, or maybe once every couple of months?  Blogging isn't supposed to be a chore. It's not a job. There is no formal production quota that if you fail to meet you're going to find yourself out in the cold, cut off forever from cyberspace and your 3 regular readers. When you're doing something as a hobby, it's never supposed to feel like work.

I'll concede it's nice to throw out an occasional warning if you're planning to deviate from your normal routine, but what's the worst that happens if you don't? A few of your "followers" may notice that nothing new from you has shown up for awhile, they may wonder briefly what happened, but in the overall scheme of things it's going to be a nonevent.

If someone were to ask me why I'm even bothering to think about a blogger's musings about possibly shutting down his blog, I guess it's because I tend to see that type of thing as a plea for attention. You know, it's an attempt to generate comments that will say, in essence, "Oh, please, please don't stop posting. You're so wonderful that I'll be lost without your words of wisdom." If there are events in the real world that are going to take you away from the computer, just say so, e.g., "I'm going camping for a week" or "Other obligations mean I don't have as much time as I used to." Then walk away. Don't turn cutting back or giving up blogging into some sort of never-ending farewell tour where you keep promising to leave but never actually do. In short, how can we miss you if you won't go away?

4 comments:

  1. Nan, I followed your advice and cut the amount of coffee in half and also drink fewer cups in a day. Seems to be working.

    Your post is rather timely as I have been really slow at doing stuff. As to blogging being a chore, I started to keep my family up to date so I didn't have to repeat everything ten times in emails. Some of them read it some don't. That is OK.

    It has been hard for me lately to blog about Ukraine because I am not sure anyone really cares. Those that care deeply by now should be reading the same sites I am. I have posted enough links.

    Also there are so many Ukraine-Russia items on the net that it is overwhelming to try to read them all and summarize the important ones. I am doing a post today but it is mostly links. Not fishing for comments on my blog, I do get them and also track my readership numbers which are about 40 per day when I am regular with posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of us could just repost from the beginning and no one would know the difference - or care. Blogging is our avatar.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be going away for a while as I make the move to Texas, but I'll be back later, just like stink on shit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a Presidential campaign starting up and I suppose I'll have something to say about that, but other than that, I've pretty much said all I have to say. If the rest of my blog is music videos and grumbling about the ants in my house... (shrug). So it goes.

    ReplyDelete

My space, my rules: play nice and keep it on topic.